Until now, many christians still believe that Jesus or Prophet Isa (peace be upon him) does not have a place in Islam. They believe that muslims don't believe in Jesus at all. Well, as a matter of fact, muslims do believe in Jesus, but as a prophet not as god in trinity. No muslim is a muslim unless he believes in Jesus as a messenger sent by God Almighty.
Quran, the last revelation of God, speaks higly about Jesus and his mother, Mary. What does Quran say about Jesus?
Quran, in chapter 3 verses 45 – 48, states that Jesus was born without father. He was born from Mary who was still a virgin. God taught him writing, wisdom, the Torah and the Gospel and Jesus was one of the righteous and close to Allah (God):
- [And mention] when the angels said, “O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary – distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allah ]. (Quran chapter 3: verse 45)
- He will speak to the people in the cradle and in maturity and will be of the righteous." (3:46)
- She said, "My Lord, how will I have a child when no man has touched me?" [The angel] said, "Such is Allah ; He creates what He wills. When He decrees a matter, He only says to it, 'Be,' and it is. (3:47)
- And He will teach him writing and wisdom and the Torah and the Gospel." (3:48)
"And Zechariah and John and Jesus and Elias – and all were of the righteous." (6:85)
"And We gave Jesus, the son of Mary, clear proofs and supported him with the Pure Spirit." (2:87)
The fact that Jesus was born without father is often considered as the attribute of divinity therefore making him God. However, Jesus was not the only one who was born immaculately. Adam was 'born' even without mother and father. God says in the Quran 3:59, "Indeed, the example of Jesus to Allah is like that of Adam. He created Him from dust; then He said to him, "Be," and he was."
Then, God clearly says that Jesus is just a messenger of God. God says in the Quran 5:75, "The Messiah, son of Mary, was not but a messenger; [other] messengers have passed on before him. And his mother was a supporter of truth. They both used to eat food. Look how We make clear to them the signs; then look how they are deluded."
One of the tenet of christianity is that Jesus is God, together with the father and the holy spirit. However, the verse above states otherwise. God says, “They both used to eat food.” This sentence wasn’t revealed for nothing. Eating food is the activity of human being, the activity of creatures. The activity of eating leads to other activities such as drinking and discharging. Do those activities represent the attributes of the Creator or God? Of course not. Those are the activities of human being. God does not need to eat or drink or go to the bathroom. The signs have been made clear by God, but some people don’t use their mind and heart and they are still misled.
The divinity of Jesus is further declined in the Quran. All clarify that Jesus is merely the servant of God who followed God's rules. God says that Jesus is a kind person as opposed to some verses in the Bible describing Jesus being rude to his mother, calling her 'woman', and uttering bad words. Also, Jesus did not die in crucifixion. He was raised to heaven by God and he will come again to the world when the end of the world is about to arrive.
- [Jesus] said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah . He has given me the Scripture and made me a prophet.” (19:30)
- “And He has made me blessed wherever I am and has enjoined upon me prayer and zakah as long as I remain alive.” (19:31)
- “And [made me] dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me a wretched tyrant.” (19:32)
- “And peace is on me the day I was born and the day I will die and the day I am raised alive." (19:33)
- “That is Jesus, the son of Mary – the word of truth about which they are in dispute." (19:34)
The teaching of Jesus was the same with the teachings of all prophets that came before him. All prophets were sent to spread the message of the oneness of God, to worship God alone and not to take idols as god. Trinity and other types of idolatry are forbidden.
- “It is not [befitting] for Allah to take a son; exalted is He! When He decrees an affair, He only says to it, "Be," and it is.” (19:35)
"O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"; desist – it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God. Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs." (4:71)
- And [beware the Day] when Allah will say, "O Jesus, Son of Mary, did you say to the people, 'Take me and my mother as deities besides Allah ?'" He will say, "Exalted are You! It was not for me to say that to which I have no right. If I had said it, You would have known it. You know what is within myself, and I do not know what is within Yourself. Indeed, it is You who is Knower of the unseen." (5:116)
- I said not to them except what You commanded me – to worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord. And I was a witness over them as long as I was among them; but when You took me up, You were the Observer over them, and You are, over all things, Witness. (5:117)
- And when Jesus brought clear proofs, he said, "I have come to you with wisdom and to make clear to you some of that over which you differ, so fear Allah and obey me. (43:63)
- Indeed, Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. This is a straight path." (43:64)
- But the denominations from among them differed [and separated], so woe to those who have wronged from the punishment of a painful Day. (43:65)
Thus, Jesus, or Prophet Isa (peace be upon him) is a messenger of God, a prophet. He didn't call people to worship him, rather, he called them to worship The One and Only God (Allah). Jesus himself worshipped God. During his life, Jesus obeyed all the commands of The Almighty God. He submitted his will to the will of God. And his full submission to God's will is just another term for Islam…
Videos: Jesus can't be the son of God
Twitter: Maharani Hasibuan